This new and exciting treatment called Platelet-Rich Plasma Therapy (PRP), involves our registered nurse taking blood from a patient’s body, isolating the blood plasma and injecting it directly into wrinkles.
It is a completely natural and safe treatment becoming very popular with women and men wanting a youthful look. Areas that can be treated include all facial areas, neck, décolletage and back of the hands. Not only does this treatment improve skin tone and texture but it also promotes healthy skin growth.
Aging of the skin, dermal components and cells, means that the skin texture and appearance deteriorate. Aging affects the hands and soft tissue of the face. This is characterized by sagging, jowls, thinning of the skin, puffiness, age spots (lentigines) and wrinkling (forehead, cheeks, neck and décolleté). Skin texture changes and dryness is a problem. Sun exposure worsens the process by solar-aging and UV irradiation. This means that vertical and horizontal facial and body wrinkles deteriorate with time.
Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) has been utilized in aesthetic medicine (UK, Japan, and Asia, Europe) to rejuvenate and slow down the aging process and face (2006). This refers to mesenchymal and epithelial rejuvenation by application of the persons own enriched autologous plasma. Recently, ACR-PRP has been pioneered for facial rejuvenation in select patients with chronological aging, and solar damage. Regeneration or anti-aging by biological stimulation of resident stem cells by growth factors.
Science supports the use of PRP for the augmentation and regeneration of hard and soft tissues. PRP is the source of concentrated platelet content present in blood. Apart from assisting blood clotting, platelets also release growth factors that assist the human body to repair itself by stimulating cells to regenerate new tissue. Today, platelet rich plasma can easily be separated from blood, through a process of centrifugation. Using your enriched plasma permits the body to heal faster and more efficiently. Because your plasma (autologous) is used, there is no danger of disease transmission, anaphylaxis or neoplasia. In general medicine, platelet transfusion is common practice in treating blood platelet disorders, including very low counts associated with bleeding.
Case studies reported in Europe, England, Asia, Japan and South Africa have demonstrated consistent rejuvenation of facial aging, including wrinkling in persons with modest grades of photo- or chronological aging. Patient selection is important and skin diseases have to be excluded. Improvement of skin texture and tone can be expected, these features are noticeable within 3 weeks, and the process can be enhanced by addition of appropriate Cosmeceutical. Benefits include non-allergenic properties and ease of administration.
So, REGENERATIVE MEDICINE is the production and injection of autologous platelet rich plasma.
It is well known that platelets have many functions. Platelets contain important growth factors that, when secreted, are responsible for:
- Tissue regeneration and rejuvenation
- Increasing collagen production
- Recruiting other cells to the site of injury
- Initiating vascular in – growth
- Inducing cell differentiation
- Bone – mineralization
- Extra cellular matrix formation
- Non – Allergenic
- It is a ‘body own’ physiological product vs. animal derived or human donor products.
- Elimination of donor transmissible infections
- Biological Glue: for tissue adhesion especially in skin flaps, bone grafts and trauma.
THE PROCESS IS -
- SAFE and Physiologically Active
- Preparation is Simple and Quick, and completed on the Physicians premises in the appointment time. No products are sent off premises.
- Can be used in multiple areas for dermal rejuvenation
HOW LONG IS THE PROCEDURE FROM START TO FINISH?
Approx 45mins to 1 hour per two test tubes.
WHICH FACIAL AND BODY AREAS CAN BE TREATED?
Around the eyes – Peri Orbital Rim
Cheeks and Mid face
Thinning skin on the neck
Jaw Line and Sub Malar
Back of hands
Other Body Areas
SIDE EFFECTS OF REGEN – PRP FACIAL REJUVENATION
- Minimal: Expect minimal swelling, bruising and redness for 12-24 hours. Some clients experience headache.
- Modest: Some patients may feel faint. A bruise at the venapuncture site may be visible for 2-3 days.
- Severe: A low morbidity procedure. Almost no down time. No need for hospitalization. Anaphylaxis does not occur. In rare cases, skin cellulitis may occur which can be treated with antibiotics and cold compresses. Occasionally hospitalization is needed in these cases. Secondary skin infection is a rare complication.
EXPECTATIONS FOR REGEN – PRP
- Results are visible at 3 weeks and improve gradually over ensuing months with improvement in texture and tone.
- Cosmeceutical and Light therapies can enhance the results.
- Advanced wrinkling cannot be reversed and a minimal improvement is predictable in persons with alcohol and tobacco abuse.
- Severe scarring may not respond.
- Further plasma treatment is also popular and safe. PRP - ACR is effective and well tolerated, but patient selection is important if predictable results are to be expected.
- Soft and hard-tissue augmentation with platelet-rich plasma. Tissue culture dynamics, regeneration and molecular biology perspective. IJSS 2007;1:64-73. www.internationalshoulderjournal.org . ( D.F du Toit et al ).
HOW DOES REGEN PRP WORK?
Your physician will draw 10 – 20 milllitres of your blood, using a standard procedure. Just like having a blood test taken. The test tube of your blood is then placed in a centrifuge for 8 minutes in which the Plasma is separated from the Red Blood Cells.
The Platelet Rich Plasma is blended with Calcium Chloride and then injected into your facial or body area of concern to achieve a gradual thickening of the skin.
ARE RESULTS IMMEDIATE?
No. Swelling from the fluid is what you will see and feel first. Once this has subsided you will not see much change at all. Over a few weeks the Platelets will stimulate the growth factors which will assist in more collagen growth.
HOW MANY TREATMENTS ARE REQUIRED?
This will depend upon the health and age of your skin. Normally it is advised to have 2 – 3 treatments 6 weeks apart.
HOW LONG DO RESULTS LAST FOR?
Treatment results vary however in most patients the results last up to 18months. Touch up treatments will maintain the results as well.
Platelet Dysfunction Syndrome
Acute and Chronic Infections
Chronic Liver Pathology
Anti Coagulation Therapy
Person with Skin Disease or Cancer
Severe Metabolic and Systemic Disorders